Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Much to Say, Not Much to Report

Happy Spring, Everyone. Traveled up to the Grayling area Friday morning with Tim from Clinton Valley Trout Unlimited's annual weekend at Wa Wa Sum. Great times were had, for sure. Spoiler Alert: no fish were caught by me all weekend. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to get out and fish, but the catching could not have been more lousy.
Michigan's most popular micro brew posing by Michigan's most popular trout stream.

Looking upstream from the Spite river access on the Main Branch of the Au Sable.
After gourmet breakfast sandwiches served at home, Tim and I were on the road around ten in the morning. Shortly after dropping bags off at lodge, we were on the river before two in the afternoon, with Jason and Tim O. Jason and Tim fished downstream, on a more gravelly stretch of water, while Tim O and I fished upstream in a mostly sandy stretch of stream. I don't know by how much, but the water was running high.... and cold. We were not out but maybe a couple hours. My offerings didn't receive any attention, as far as I could tell. I'm not sure if Tim O faired any better. Downstream however, Jason and Tim B at least had some insect activity to watch. I'm not sure if they had any takes on hendrickson dries or droppers, but later on, back at the access site, Jason had a nice strike from a small brown on a streamer. The hook set pulled the little guy out of the water, but he came unhooked almost immediately when airborne.

I learned during this outing I am not a fan of fishing up stream, especially with nymphs and streamers. You need to strip so quickly just to keep up with slack, let alone provide some action on fly. I also witnessed how a little gravel can help you out if you are looking for specific insect activity (hendricksons were trickling off downstream in the gravel water). It didn't matter, though, as fish were not feeding, at least at our offerings.

I also learned that I am not an ideal candidate for steelhead fishing, as the weather was raw. Water was cold, and the air temperature was even colder. First time I was stream fishing and wore winter gloves. I know this is the norm for October, November, and winter fishing. This is not the norm for my trout fishing outings.

Saturday morning brought frost and frozen waders left outside. A group of four of us headed to the Manistee River after a late breakfast, giving ample time for the suns rays to kiss the river's water. I am not sure if this mattered. We didn't bring any fish to hand, either way. Jason suggested going to the Manistee River. As a result of all of us forget to bring the river map/guide book, we wound-up doing a few laps back and forth of the road looking for our intended access point.



The Manistee River is different than the Au Sable River; it has much more sand than the Au Sable. It is also much more difficult to wade than the Au Sable (at least the Holy Waters section). Not only was this stretch surprisingly deep, but if you wen't up to brim of your waders, the slower water velocity deposited silt and lose sand. This in turn resulted in sinking three feet down, even when you were in one foot of water. Also, it appears that you need to fish the structure (meaning wood), but also edges and drop offs if you can see them. In the Au Sable, fish can really be anywhere, there is so much cover, riffles, drop offs, vegetation, etc.

The Manistee's color has a more tannic tinge, as the surrounding land is predominately cedar swamps.

Jason working some woody bottom structure and cover

Tim looking for wadable water with stable bottom composition


Matt treading cautiously to find the crossing spot... or possible swimming spot.

During this day trip, I regularly ditched the river to avoid deep sections and to admire the forest. It was really neat to walk through the woods to both get in and out of the river. I find it fun just to get out and explore a bit.

Many downed trees and even a couple deer carcasses lay in the forest. Not sure if they were lefty by hunters (highly doubt it), or died from a harsh winter, but it was a reminder that there is wildlife in the area. I chose not to photograph the dead deer.




I was waiting for a black bear to come greet me, but no luck today


a little over exposure on one of the back trees, but still a nice picture. The river is back there.


I know we all had a good time, even those of us that managed to get a little wet. I fell in the water while sanding one foot from the bank. I wound up falling just up the top of my waders. One of us had a moment in too deep of water and got cold river water well inside his breathable waders. The same suspect also had a humorous moment while falling backward on the bank, while facing the river, which resulted in the slowest motion fall I've ever witnessed. Cameras never ready for the best moments.

Next time, I'll be taking a watercraft of some sort to this stretch of water.

Great weekend would be an understatement.


Night sky over the Au Sable


Lodge Decor

It was so cold that if not attached to wall, it was nearing use as a blanket
Can't wait until next year. Get out there...

Gear Review: SmithFly 2X

This was the inauguration of my SmithFly 2X Pouch. I like it, but it needs a strap. I had it attached to my wading belt. This would be fine for small stream wading. Not fine for regularly wading up to your arm pits, as experienced in the Manistee River.

Also, I would prefer something that holds more than some tippet and one fly box. The 2X is not ideal when you are throwing streamers and dries and they are stored in different boxes. It's nice to have room for at least two boxes; you don't have that space with the 2X.

The product works as advertised, but I think I should have gone with something larger. Next time, I'll take a larger sling bag or chest pack, specifically my Fishpond Blue River chestpack. Mine was on it's way back to me after having some broken zippers repaired.

The 2X will be going on my summer carp outings. It will also be used on summer time trout stream trips where I take 2 or 3 small dry fly boxes, filled with tiny dry flies. My SmithFly El Poquito attaches perfectly to the front of the 2X. I'd recommend it, as long as you have needs for extreme minimalist days.









1 comment:

  1. Dave, thanks for sharing your weekend with us readers. You have some beautiful water and wonderful, picturesque settings in your area. All the experience you are getting will pay off in the long run. When it does, you will be actively hooked up all day long. Thanks for the mini-review on the Smith 2x.

    ReplyDelete