Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Summer That Didn't Happen

Blog neglected? Absolutely. Busy summer? Absolutely. Fishing much? Not me.

Just want to include a few images from this past summer.

Week of Fathers Day, dad and I went north for a few days to do a little kayak fishing. We hit three small lakes in north-central lower Michigan. We managed to catch a few fish. Not much to write about, but hey, for us, anything is pretty good! The most notable party of our experience at this lake was the mosquito activity. We were swarmed. From the time we opened the car doors, they were on us immediately. It was raining a bit, but even after it stopped, I continued to cover myself up with waders, rain jacket, hood, gloves, and buff on my face.




Here are a few pics from another lake in the region. We did catch a few fish here, although no pictures taken. I found this neat little creek flowing either into or out of this lake. I don't recall current direction. There was a seriously nice-sized bass where this creek met the lake, but I effectively scared him off with my casting.



July brought me north with my future bride and her family for a family vacation in Boyne Mountain.

Harbor Springs was one of our day trips while staying in Boyne

If you haven't been to Leggs Inn, you owe it to yourself. Food is exceptional, but still doesn't compare to the scenery. 

South Branch of Boyne River. Marked as a designated trout stream. Mid July, I came stocked with small dry flies, mostly stimulators. I even picked up a few from Boyne Outfitters. 

The guys at the shop failed to mention I might encounter this insects, though. Hex hatch happening. I've never experienced one on a river; only by Lake St. Clair. Not a fish sighted, though. Didn't matter. Largest fly on me was probably a size 16.
Wilderness State Park shoreline, north of Harbor Springs
 Had a fun outing in August with my dad on our boat in Lake St Clair. Rode out from Salt River over to the North Channel area. Just drifted and casted for bass. Dad boated a couple bass. Guess who didn't.



Finally, September came and a friend asked me to come out with him and his son. His son turned 9 and got a great gift, an Orvis rod and reel with a pair of waders. We decided to go out at the pond in front of our subdivision.



Luke showing us how it's done. Nice first fish on the fly.
I had a couple fun encounters on the end of my line this day, too. I threw out a wolly bugger in a group of four of five bass. One went for it, hooked itself, and threw the hook before I landed it. Fun, none the less, especially on a 8' 4 WT. 

A little while later, I was throwing Clouser Minnow. I chucked it out as far as I could; maybe 25 or 30 feet. I let it sink a while and slowly stripped it in. With ten feet of line left out, I thought I was caught on the bottom, but the bottom suddenly brought quite a fight. Then nothing. Line broke at one of my surgeons knots in my leader. It was something sizable. Funny how the biggest fish we encounter are the ones we don't handle (or even see for that matter).

The wedding day is fast approaching. Not sure how much I'll get out before fall truly sets in. I plan on going out to throw some flies for trout this afternoon, providing the river isn't too high after last night's rain. I'll try to post a quick report.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get to fish much either, that being said looks like you still had a stellar summer! Oh and congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and checking out the blog, Atlas! Yeah, I really shouldn't complain about this years fishing activity. I didn't get out as much as I'd like, but who does?

    ReplyDelete