Thursday, April 10, 2014

Good Day for Fishing, Great Day for Paddling, Terrible Day for Catching

I think the title says it all, but I'll share more. Spoiler alert: No fish were caught... at least by us. Dad and I took the kayaks out for the first time this year. Since I had three days off in a row, I originally planned on heading up north. The responsible part of my brain decided to take over those northern thoughts, and I ended-up staying home. However, staying home on days off means fishing close to home.

I decided to go to Lake St. Clair Metropark. Figured the ice was mostly gone (note last week's reconnaissance mission). We launched at the boat ramp back in the canals and wetlands, figuring it would be too rough and exposed with the steady southeast wind (and probably iced in) from the Day Sail launch right on the lake. Maybe that east wind was an indicator fish would ignore my offerings.
Hey, I'm just happy to finally be out!

 In an attempt to heed some advice shared by fellow bloggers Jason  (http://www.fontinalisrising.com/2014/04/gear-review-fish-like-local-with.html), from northern Michigan, and Mel (http://pondstalker.blogspot.com/), I tried to keep it simple. Admittedly, I am both a hoarder and kind of a boy scout at heart, so I tend to "be prepared" out there. When I go out, I always reflect on episodes of "I Shouldn't Have Survived", and think about how all of the people featured were only going out for a couple hours.

The only gear to set out with this day was my new 9'3'' 8WT Mystic fly rod, three reels (one with a sink tip, one with a floating line, and one with a multi-tip line), and my little Fish Pond chest pack with ONE fly box. I brought my trout/bass streamer box. I brought along the fish finder, too. Not exactly necessary, but I am glad I had it with me. If it were not for the fish finder, I'd swear the lake was fished-out.
My old man enjoying time on the water with his favorite son

I am not a flies-only elitist, but I almost always use the long rod. Dad brought a short, ultra-light Ugly Stick (I think) with intention of finding some perch,
Picture of fish finder at random moment along outing. Something is down there.


Another random moment showing evidence of something living down there.

Something bigger, or more likely a bigger group of small guys. This was also right by the ice. Check out that water temp.

And yet more critters below me.

Ice that is still hanging on.
This was the first time I've paddled in water with ice. I was wearing breathable waders up to my waistline, and a long sleeve t-shirt under a fleece. I was very comfortable, temperature-wise. I am really glad I didn't fall out or flip the kayak like I did last summer. That's a story for another post. That summer day I learned to have everything, and I mean everything, secured to the boat.

If you were wondering what flies and tackle do not work in the canals of Metro Beach, they are:
-small white, cone-head buggers
-biggish black, barbell eye buggers
-small muddler-style minnows
all fished on a 250 grain sink-tip line. Dead drifted/trolled and short, small strips. Nothing, nothing, and nothing.

Swedish pimples didn't work for my dad, too.

Oh well, at least we got out. It was actually pretty great.

Thursday, April 10th, 2014

Stoney Creek Lake/Ice Report

Took a brief drive today to Stoney Creek.

As you can see, it's mostly open, but man does it look nasty out there. This was the windward side of the lake today. Even if you go out past the sloppy ice, you'd be getting blown all over the place with the strong wind. Actually, you'd wind up back in the ice.


I'll be out here soon. And with that,

Get out there...


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Dave. Thanks for the link to my blog. I really like your approach. Keeping it simple allows you to focus on the activity at hand, the water, the weather, the wildlife, etc. Them darn fishes just need to cooperate. At least, you were able to get out and spend some time with your dad. That is special!

    ReplyDelete